Journeys Unknown - Stage One, Origin


 Journeys Unknown


Origin

An EP titled, 'Journeys Unknown' will be the outcome of the research conducted around the idea of de-canonizing the recording studio, a project in which, I will explore what makes recording studios special, and why some artists use them, while others do not. 

 

What is studio magic? 

I am exploring DIY recording techniques and equipment to better understand what makes recording studios special. 

Below is a photo of my home recording setup, eight channels and a few toys housed in a 19" rack case for portability and storage (except for the compressor...). I will be using this setup to record the majority of the EP. 

Personally, I believe that eight channels is enough to record almost all sources, except if you're recording orchestras, obviously... 

The recordings I have made with my band have been made using the PreSonus interface, with drums being the only instrument to require all eight channels and I found that, at least for this style of music and size of kit eight tracks is enough to represent the whole kit, and you can always add samples to the kick and snare to reinforce their sounds. 

The setup is a PreSonus Quantum HD8 interface, Warm Audio WA273-EQ, Behringer FX2000 and a Klark Tecknik 76-KT (1176 style compressor).

I have a reasonable mic collection, I've tried to focus on mics that are versatile which I can use on many different sources, I will purchase a pair of small diaphragm condensers in the future which will finalise the collection. 

Austrian Audio OC818 x2

Shure SM57 x3

Shure SM7b x1 

Shure Beta 52a x1 

Sennheiser MD421 Kompact x2

Sennheiser e838 x1

T.bone RB500 x2

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction

Journeys Unknown - R&D - DIY Microphones and other hardware

Journeys Unknown - R&D - Impulse Responses part 1, Hardware IRs